The capital and port of the island is the picturesque town of the same name with its two-storey brick-roofed houses on the quay.
In general, the old cityscape is preserved even in the narrow, cobbled streets, although tourism has left its mark. One should visit the museum with its many exhibits from the area of the Ancient Troezen.
Other attractions include the clock in the main square and the old shipyard.
The view from the harbor on the coast of the Peloponnese and the Lemonodasso hill is magical. At a distance of about 5 km northeast of the city, there are some remnants of a ruin of a Doric Poseidon temple from the 6th century BC.
About 3 km northeast of the port of the seaside resort of Askeli is surrounded by pine trees, which extend to the beach and reflected in the crystal clear water.
There, on the top of a wooded hill, there is also the monastery “Zoodoxos Pigi” (life-giving spring), from which one can enjoy a beautiful view.
Northwest, just outside the city of Poros, are Mirko and Megalo Neorio, beautiful sandy beaches with clean water and pine trees. There are restaurants, taverns, pensions, hotels, etc. There are also waterskiing and windsurfing schools.
Just opposite the Poros lies the small town of Galatas on the coast of the Peloponnese. Southeast of Galatas you come to the “Lemonodasos” (Lemon Forest), a hill covered in streams and covered with lemon and orange trees.
The town of Galatas is always accessible by boat from Poros. For the short distance it takes about 5 minutes.
Geography and History
Poros is separated from the town of Galata in the province of Troizinia in the Peloponnese only by a narrow strait. The land area of the island is 33 km2, the population is about 4000th Poros is densely wooded. The highest point is the Vigla hill with 390m. The ancient name of Poros was Kalaria.
Together with several towns in the neighborhood, it formed the city-state Amfiktionia of Kalavria (7th century BC), whose capital was it. During the period of the Turkish occupation, Poros kept almost its independence.
During the liberation war in 1821, the inhabitants supported the fight of Hydra and Spetses against the Turks. In 1830 the first Greek shipyard was founded here, which was in operation until 1877.